Saturday, December 19, 2009

Baking and Christmas Tags

One of my favorite memories of Christmas is the baking days we had growing up. Tricia and Victoria would spend every Christmas with us and we would bake all day long as our relatives came by for visits. It was great fun. Now that we are all grown up and they live in Texas, we don't get to do that anymore. In fact, mom has dropped out entirely and the last few years I have baked alone. This year was different. Tricia came with her boys and we baked ALL day long- Thirteen different recipes, if I remember correctly. The only one missing was Vic. Maybe we can do it again with her one year. We made several different cookie trays to pass out the next day. Mom and couple of her sisters had a blast doing that. The picture shows just a few of our sweet treats.

Now, this is our first Christmas as a family. Jon and I are so excited for Caleb to have wonderful memories like we both have had over the years. We hope to create our own little traditions and continue the ones we love so much. What caught me off guard was the emotion attached to filling out Caleb's Christmas tags. I have wrapped presents for years,but this is the first time that I have the honor of writing "Mom and Dad". I wasn't prepared for the rush of sentiment that came with filling out a simple tag. Maybe it is because we waited so long for him to arrive. Maybe it is because I am a GIANT mush pot on any given day. Who knows, but it brought tears to my eyes. I am so proud to be a mother. People used to ask, "What is your passion?" I could never really say. I loved teaching, but I wouldn't say it was my passion. I found my passion in being a mom and wife to my wonderful husband. Nothing brings me more joy and satisfaction. I love them both so much it hurts! Anyway, I look forward to our first family Christmas and see how Caleb behaves with the presents. He has been told "NO" so many times as he continues to play with the bows. I wonder if he will even attempt to open them. We shall see! A few of our Christmas treats!!!
Braxton and Nick had fun playing in the "play center"(mom's kid's room) while we baked.


The boys also went on wagon rides through the neighb0rhood. Yes, it was cold, but they didn't seem to mind.

Tricia and I have many years worth of pictures that look very similar to this one- Head tilt and all!!!



1 comment:

  1. You didn't warn me to pull out the kleenex before reading this post! I got all teary eyed reading about how much you love being Caleb's mommy. That is just so sweet! I had a BALL baking with you and my face was sore from all of the laughing we did! I hope we get to do it again next year! Love you!

    ReplyDelete